Saturday, November 13, 2010

BROADWAY & BOOKS!

The past two weeks have been quite hectic, but in a good way. In addition to taking 73 of my students to the Holocaust Museum, which I blogged about earlier, I made a one day trip to New York City. A month ago I won tickets to see the new show, Lombardi, on Broadway! I asked my friend and colleague, Jennie, to go with me because she is a drama afficianado. We took Amtrak and were so excited when we arrived at Penn Station!
Our first stop was the Sketchers Store in Times Square. As many of you know, I LOVE Sketchers! I never go to New York without shopping at Sketchers. Jennie LOVES Sketchers too. Which one to choose? Black or white?!? She decided on the white.I decided on a pair of black, silver, and gold. I am a sucker for Sketchers!
I couldn't resist this pair for Emme. The girl has gotta have her first pair of Sketchers!
We worked up quite an appetite, so off to one of my favorite little Italian restaurants, Daniella's Trattatoria. See that smile! Now that's a great spaghetti!
I had my favorite, Vodka Penne Pasta. OMG! It was so good! Believe it or not, both dishes were just $10.00 each. That doesn't include the pitcher of Sangria we had with our lunch!
Then we were off to see Lombardi. Dan Lauria, who was the father on "The Wonder Years," starred as Vince Lombardi. Judith Light, from "Who's The Boss," played his wife, Marie. Both were absolutely amazing. The entire cast was great!
The show was an hour and a half without intermission in a small, intimate theater in the round. The show revealed the story behind the man and his ability to take a losing team, the Green Bay Packers, to success.
The Vince Lombardi trophy was on display and heavily guarded!
We did a little more shopping including a stop at Sephora. Couldn't leave the city without a stop a Crumbs Bake Shop. We visited the one at Bryant Park. These cupcakes are so delicious!
Just look at these beauties! I brought some back for the family. It's a good thing we don't have a Crumbs nearby. I would weigh a ton! It was a glorious day in the Big Apple!This month's book club choice was The Help by Kathryn Stockett. This book is definitely one of my top twenty books. Six of us got together to talk about the book and eat food inspired by the book.
One of the yummy dishes was oven fried pork chops, a Paula Dean recipe, It was so o o o . . good! Highly recommend it! We also had fried chicken, red beans, and rice.
Desserts included homemade Southern Caramel Cake made by yours truly, apple crisp, Southern chocolate pie, and a chocolate brownie pie. Sugar Shock!
Can't wait to read our next selection, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, which is our January selection and then in February it's Chris Bojahlian's The Double Bind. Now I am off to get ready for my open house Tuesday, November 16th, to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. We will be sampling Tastefully Simple's new fall products - lots of yummy food! and seeing the new line of Usborne Books. All proceeds benefit JDRF! Books and food - what could be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers