1. Keep a list of books read. I used to do this every year and it was interesting to look back and see just how much I read and the kinds of books I gravitated to that particular year. Also, when Annisa posted the list of books she read this year, it inspired me to keep a list again, so I started my list for 2010. The first one I finished was The Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jennifer 8 Lee, who autographed the book at the conference I attended in November. Yes, 8 is her middle name and not a typo! The second book was Beg, Borrow, Steal: A Writer's Life by Michael Greenberg. I am currently reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. This is the first book I am reading on the Kindle that the girls got me for Christmas. Love it!
2. Lose 25 pounds. Just how did the pounds keep accumulating? Sigh! Since January 1st I have lost five pounds in ten days. Woo Hoo!!! How easy it goes on and how difficult it is to get it off. I am committed to getting in good shape in 2010.
3. Update the Upstairs. Our bedrooms upstairs are in major need of a redo. Our bedroom, the hall, and Becky's old room need repainted and new lights. The room where the boys and Kari stay when they are here needs new border, so I replaced it last week. Then I ordered new bedspreads, which were on clearance, so I redid that room very inexpensively! The main spare bedroom is in good shape, but Becky's old room has issues. For some reason, the paint around the ceiling light is peeling off, so the ceiling and walls need painted. Our bedroom just needs the walls painted. So, Jim and I will be doing some painting over the next few weeks. The biggest problem upstairs is the flooring. All the carpets are in bad shape and so we are thinking engineered hardwood throughout the upstairs. Tomorrow we are getting an estimate.
4. 20th Anniversary Celebration. Next year will be Jim and my 20th anniversary so since Jim loves cruises, my goal is to book a cruise for next spring. Any suggestions?
5. Photography Fun. I would love to learn some cool photography techniques this year. Perhaps I'll take a class or use online tutorials. I could really use an upgrade to my digital camera, but I have no idea what to get. I don't want anything too complicated to use or too expensive, so. . . . anyone have any recommendations? I love the point and shoot capability of the standard digital cameras, but there's only so much you can do with them.
6. Write. Since teaching the Creative Writing course this semester, I would love to do more writing on a regular basis. No, I don't have the great American novel in mind, but I would like to explore some story ideas and do more with poetry, which is my first love. My goal is to set aside some time each week to write. Wish me luck with this because time is always an issue for me and when I have to make choices, the writing is always on the bottom of my list.
7. Trip to the Big Apple! For the past several years Becky has been my travel buddy to NYC. As you can see from my blogs last year, we had a blast! However, in May she is going to be a mommy. Who will be my travel buddy in 2010? Will NYC be possible this summer? Hmm! It's definitely on my goal list, but it might not be realistic.
8. $7000.00 for JDRF. Over the past three years I have helped organize scrapbooking crops to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Last year we raised almost $6000.00. This year I would like to hit $7000.00. Our first crop of the year is February 20th and is open to scrapbookers and other crafters like knitters, jewelry makers, etc. Anyone reading this blog who would like to attend, let me know and I will send a registration form. Anyone who would like to donate to JDRF to add to our total, just shoot me an email and I can tell you how to donate so that it goes under team Aidan and Ryan's Warrior Walkers. Aidan and Ryan are my grandsons who have Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes.
Ok, the "goals" are made and they are in writing so all of you can hold me to them! At the end of the year I will post the results. If I am successful, maybe I will make "setting goals" a New Year's tradition! Happy New Year everyone!