Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Meeting The Authors - Part 2

As promised, this is the second in the series of "Meeting the Authors."  I look longingly at the stack of books by my bed . . . sigh . . .  so many books - so little time!  Sarah  Ockler's latest book, Twenty Boy Summer,  is a story about love, loss, and letting go.
David Ward  is the author of  Behind the Mask, Beneath The Mask, and Escape the Mask, a wonderful young adult series that boys love, but I loved it too!  I was honored to introduce David at one of the author's sessions.
I also got the opportunity to introduce David's co-presenter, author Scott Westerfeld.  He is famous for his Pretties and Uglies series that teenage girls adore.  His latest book, Levithan, is amazing.  I highly recommend it for anyone of any age.  It includes over 50 illustrations!
For many years, I used the book Fallen Angels in my tenth grade English class.  It is a book about the Vietnam War by Walter Dean Myers.  My students loved this book and so do I.  It was such a privilege to meet him.
Another  renowned and popular author at the conference was Laurie Halse Anderson.  She is famous for her novel, Speak, which I also highly recommend.  The line to see Laurie looped around the exhibit hall.
Becca Fitzpatrick's novel Hush, Hush is being touted as the next Twilight and interestingly, she began this book long before Twilight, but it took several years for it to get to publication.  Can't wait to read this book!
The Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jennifer 8. Lee, has been a New York Times Bestseller.  Her mission was to "solve the mystery of how dozens of people across America had won a lottery after receiving their lucky numbers in their fortune cookies!"  However, she learned much more as she interviewed owners of Chinese restaurants, learned the origin of  various Chinese foods, and uncovered other surprises.  Jennifer was so delightful and funny - this should be a really fun read!
I hope I can tackle some of these books over the holidays!  They are a diverse group of authors and genres and I am anxious to dive into them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers