Tuesday, August 10, 2010

New Orleans - Day Five!

A few weeks before our trip, I posted a question on an online forum to get recommendations for good places to eat in New Orleans, places that the locals loved.  The Camellia Grill was mentioned several times.  Today we had brunch there before our day at the zoo.  Founded in 1946, it has been open since, except for two years after Katrina.
The food was amazing!  For $6.95 we split,  yes split, an enormous omelette. This is my half!  It completely filled the huge oval plate.  I couldn't eat all of it, but it was sooooo good!  We also split a pecan waffle.  Haven't had a waffle in more than a year and I enjoyed every bite of my half.
Then we headed off to the Audubon Zoo.  Although I said the Audubon Aquarium was not as nice as the Baltimore Aquarium, the Audubon Zoo was beautiful!  It was very hot with a heat index of well over 105 + degrees, so there were few people at the zoo.  One thing that set it apart from other zoos I have visited, were the beautiful sculptures throughout the zoo.  The following are just a few of the pictures I took.
This white Bengal tiger was majestic, to say the least.
I loved the grace of these whooping cranes.
Watch out!  This elephant was very close to the edge and kept swaying back and forth in her own little dance.The Rhinos were all tuckered out!
This cheetah appeared to either be laughing or roaring - can't tell which!  A week or so ago I was watching the Food Network and the show's host was visiting unique ice cream places in the US. Featured was the Creole Creamery in New Orleans.  Well, since I firmly believe that ice cream is the "perfect food," it was on my must visit list this week.  Today after a hot day at the zoo, we headed for the Creole Creamery.
It is very "ordinary looking" on the outside.  The inside is plain, witht the exception of the flavor lists and this mural on the back wall and pictures of folks eating ice cream.
Jim had a scoop of Black Gold Crunch and one of Cafe Au Lait.  I had Coffee Pecan Brittle and Lavendar Honey.  Amazing!  The unique flavors are melt-in-your mouth goodness. I could have sat there and eaten ice cream all day.  There were so many flavors to try like avocado cream and red velvet cake, to mention a few.  Hopefully we will get to go back before we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers