Saturday, August 7, 2010

New Orleans - Day Two!

Some of you know that I said that I was going to eat my way through New Orleans cuisine so to compensate for the calories I did an hour workout in the fitness center this morning before we ventured out.  Lunch was in the heart of the French Quarter at Montrel's Bistro.  We were good - had a cup of Gumbo and a salad. Just right!
My new friend, "Catfish," told us that Montrel's was located in "the hood" prior to Hurricane Katrina, when it was destroyed. It was a favorite of the locals and always busy. They found this location and reopened three years ago just down the street from Cafe Du Monde.
The French Market is filled with local foods and a "flea market" loaded with jewelry stands, and souvenirs.  We didn't buy anything, but it was fun looking.I really enjoyed the street artists.  I think I just might have to find a small piece to bring home with me.  I love supporting local artists.  Becky and I brought back great street art pieces from Prague and Warsaw in 2004.  

Late in the afternoon we had iced coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde.  They were melt-in-your mouth delicious!  Definitely going back for more beignets!
Can't you just taste their sugary goodness!  And they are served warm!  I am salivating just thinking about them!
We walked miles and miles through the French Quarter.  Jackson Square is beautiful!  In the background you can see St. Louis Cathedral, circa 1849. Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul II visited this magnificent church.  This inside is breathtaking.After more walking along the Riverwalk we headed back to Bourbon Street for dinner. Pat O's Courtyard looked inviting so that's where we had dinner.
This tasty appetizer was alligator bites - yes, real alligator!  Let me tell you, those little morsels were very good!
Jim had crawfish cakes, which were tasty.  The sauce was especially good.
I had Jambalaya.  I could not finish it, but oh was it good!  Tomorrow we are doing a tour of the city - should be fun!  Hoping to get to the Creole Creamery (ice cream!) tomorrow afternoon.  It was featured on the Food Network!

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you're having a great time! The food looks amazing! Are you going down to the hard-hit Katrina areas at all? Miss you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not believe you are eating all that sugar and fried stuff! Wish I was there!

    ReplyDelete

Followers